Candle Making with ByLauraLondon

Saturday 18 January 2020


I love candles as much as the next person. I'm forever wondering into TKMaxx or The White Company, running over to the candle section, frantically grabbing the first one I see, taking off the lid to inhale the scent to decide whether it would be one for me or not. It's in that instant where you can make the judgement as to whether the scent is one you love or one you hate. I love a cosy scent, lots of vanilla, or something fresh. The really sickly sweet scents are a no no. As are the scents that hit the back of your throat in a really not nice kind of way. I'm sure you know what I mean. So when Sam ever so kindly treated me to a candle making workshop for Christmas, I was so excited. The candle workshop was hosted and planned ByLauraLondon, based in her home in Surrey, where all her candles are home made and hand made.

I didn't really have any knowledge going into the workshop about how candles are made, what gives them their scent, how to mix scents together to create something amazing, what the expression "throw" means, what ratio of scent is to be added to the amount of wax that you're using, what is the best wax to use, or how to even care for a candle properly before and after you burn them. Laura's workshop was filled with all of the answers to these questions and really let all 7 of us into what it's all about to make a lovely smelling candle.


After a little introduction and a 'how to make a candle' chat, we were able to smell some of the essential oils that were on selection, and to think about which ones we would like to combine, or simply use by themselves to create one of two of our own little candles. Upon following the steps and demonstrations by Laura, I chose vanilla, bergamot and cinnamon in my first candle. As I said, I'm a fan of a cosy smell - something you could burn of the coffee table by the sofa, or one that could be burnt in the corner of the room before bed. This one is perfect for that. The second candle scent I chose to make was a bit of an experimentation really. I went for pine, a smell that I love and makes me think instantly of Christmas, added a little pink peppercorn, and finally a drop of lemongrass. This candle smells very fresh and I have been burning it this past week in the kitchen. It's filled up the kitchen with a lovely welcoming fresh smell, which you can notice as soon as you walk through the kitchen door.


I would 100% recommend Laura's candle making workshop and her candle creations. If you love candles for their scents, then you must definitely try her collection out.

Have you ever done a workshop like this before?
Amber X

8 comments

  1. That sounds so cool, I would love to do a workshop like this one xx

    www.anacelinelabod.de

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea! I love the sound of the first candle you created, cosy scents are some of my favourites xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow this sounds like such a fun thing to do. I love candles, but I've never made my own, it sounds like it would be a great hen weekend activity xo

    Makeup Muddle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely would be! Would be something to consider for all sorts of occasions - even low key, chilled birthday celebrations xx

      Delete

© amberatlanta. Design by FCD.