Reflection - A Year On Since University

Saturday 25 May 2019


It has suddenly occurred to me that I left university a whole year ago.. Seeing my friends who are still studying, currently handing in their dissertations and finishing their exams for the summer, brought it home for me. Time truly does fly by. But it got me thinking, is my life where I thought it would be?

Am I where I thought I would be a year on after finishing university?
If you would have asked me when I left uni, where I thought I would be in a years time, I wouldn't have been able to tell you. I would have hoped to have found a long term job, in a career that I can see progress in and enjoy for sure. But when I left I had no idea what it was that I wanted to do. I have worked two different full time jobs since leaving uni. Neither of which would I have imagined I would have fallen into. But it's not a bad thing I have done, life is about learning and evolving your skills which I feel both of these have allowed me to do.


Do I miss university?
The straight forward answer is no. However, I miss the freedom - having more than two days off of work a week. Having more independence - not living under my parents roof, and being around people my age. It's definitely one of those experiences that changes you as a person too. Whether it be for the better or for the worst for so many people, I think it makes you realise hell of a lot. So in that sense, I guess I am somewhat grateful for what my personal university experience made me accept and brought me.

Was getting a degree worthwhile?
Of course, uni isn't for everyone. Is it possible to get a job without going to university first? Of course it is. I truly do believe that going to uni will have a good effect on potential jobs and career paths in the future. In the long term, I 100% believe that having a degree is a good thing. It shows you're able to learn in depth, juggle multiple deadlines, persevere, and importantly it shows commitment. But I feel I am yet to put the things I learned throughout my degree, content and topic wise, to much use.

Are you currently studying at university? What do you like and dislike about it so far?
Amber X

5 comments

  1. I am graduating with my Masters soon and I am soooo nervous for the 'real' world.

    x Lisa | lisaautumn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn’t much that can prepare you for it if I am honest. Just know that whatever is destined to happen for you, will happen when it is meant too..

      Delete
  2. I'm going to be starting college as a freshman this fall and I honestly cannot wait, but I still get this nagging feeling in my head that it won't meet my expectations so I'm trying to keep them low haha.

    - Avalon from www.simplyavalon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do feel like that it’s always best to not expect too much as then you’ll never be disappointed. But I’m sure that you’ll make it all that you want it to be!

      Delete

© amberatlanta. Design by FCD.