Why Taking A Break Is More Than Ok

Saturday 17 February 2018


Taking a break in the sense that you take yourself away from a situation, any situation, a common misconception is that you've failed, or you're just the type of person to give up too easily. Of course, there is huge weight upon the situation that you are taking a break from. You've spent ages trying to get your head around a massive project at work, uni or college.. you've had enough of your surroundings.. you need to take a step back and consider why you are truly putting time and effort into something.. you need to work on yourself.. you want to improve your health and wellbeing.. I don't know. The reasons could be endless. I am not a fan of the 'looking down their nose at you' judgements that come with taking a break from something. Distancing yourself is not always a negative concept. 

Just because you need time to readjust, to put your head straight, or to just simply have a break, doesn't mean that you're a failure in the slightest. Having time away from something can do you the world of good in both the long and short term. Focusing on something for too long, can cause you to overlook important details, and leave you feeling deflated. 9 times out of 10, taking yourself away from a situation will only work out for the best. I always find leaving an assignment that is making me frustrated until the next day, gives me time to relax and actually think about what it is that I have to do. I'm not specifically talking about studying, but anything in general. A few examples come to mind and I'm sure it's the case for a number of you too. Having a break can differ from person to person, whether a break to you is a holiday, or simply taking yourself for a walk - go for it. 

Don't ever consider distancing yourself from something or someone even, to be a bad thing. It definitely isn't. Re-evaluate your perspective, and work out what's best for you. I took myself home from uni last weekend and I feel SO much better for it. It's always nice to return home after being away for a long period of time. It was nice to spend time actually doing things that I wanted to do - putting my feet up, probably drinking too much tea and wine (love you Mols), cooking a roast, having a bath (!!!) and getting lost in a book. It's definitely set me back to the right frame of mind -working towards where I need to be and what I need to do to get there. Yay for breaks. 

What do you like to do for yourself?
Amber X

8 comments

  1. This blog post was so helpful. I always feel like taking breaks and distancing yourself is a bad thing due to societies view. However you are completely right, I'm at university too at the moment and haven't been back home for a while. So next weekend when I do, is going to be a well deserved break I think. Love your blog btw. x

    www.elegantanchors.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s such a sweet thing to say! Make sure you soak up all the comfort and relaxation when you spend time at home - you’ll feel so much better for it. Ps, go treat yourself to some bubbles for the best bath ever :-) Thank-you gorgeous! Enjoy your break xx

      Delete
  2. this was a very inspiring post. I often have to have breaks from things, especially when it comes to blogging and youtubing. I often feel like it helps to make me feel more motivated and feel more inspired. lovely post x

    emjbarker.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you sweet. That’s exactly it - taking a step back can make you gain perspective and help you think what you really want out of things, such as blogging and youtube! xx

      Delete
  3. This post is so important! I think breaks from anything whether it's studies, work, hobbies or even just everyday tasks is so beneficial. We all need to take a break every once in a while. We shouldn't have to feel guuilty for it xx

    Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We come back better for it I am certain xx

      Delete
  4. I really needed to read this from someone else to know that I'm not the only one! I feel like sometimes taking a break from something can make you realize how much you enjoy doing it.

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most definitely not the only one! Exactly - It can do so much good.

      Delete

© amberatlanta. Design by FCD.